Monday, July 4, 2011

Red White and Blue

Happy 4th of July!
My friends and I planned a BBQ at the park :)
I made a fruit salad:

and I also tried a new recipe from Healthy is Happy: Sugar free Coconut Truffles

I used Truvia as the directions called for erithrytol, but I had a really tough time working with it! As soon as I added it to the other ingredients, it crystallized and formed huge chunks of sugar.

They were super pretty, but tasted extremely chemical-y for some reason...I think I will try them out with regular sugar next time. They definitely have potential! So, I didn't end up bringing these to the party.
I dressed up in red, white, and blue for today's holiday :)

Pardon the mess in the background- I was working on a paper for my Career Counseling class before the BBQ!

How did you celebrate America's Birthday?

7 comments:

  1. You look so festive Sonia! I love your festive dessert...I have never had Truvia but I hear it does have a chemical aftertaste.

    I am celebrating the 4th by catching up on work. Vacations are great but then the deluge of work I face when coming home kind of bites...

    Happy 4th my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look cute! And I actually think the coconut cookies look pretty good- I'd try them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving your red, white, and blue!
    I usually use real sugar since I am particular with anything else. Sometimes you just gotta go with the real thing. Looks tasty though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad is diabetic, so I'm always on the lookout for fun sugar-free desserts (I think my sweet-tooth is genetic!), but they often do have a bit of a chemically aftertaste.

    We had a nice family barbecue. It was so great to see so many people I only see once a year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your dress. I can never seem to rock hats without feeling like a goober, but yours is great!

    I celebrated by being laid up with a kidney stone...blahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow those coconut truffles looks oh so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use a sweetener called "Sun Crystals." You can get them at just about any store around here, and it's the only artificial sweetener I've ever used that didn't taste "chemical-y" to me. I think that it's essentially Truvia, but there are 5 calories worth of pure cane sugar in it (in a packet). So, there are *some* calories but worth it for me, and anyone who has had problems with that yucky chemical taste.

    ReplyDelete