Saturday, July 23, 2011

18 Miles to Carbicide

On Wednesday, Raine and I both had a full day of no errands to run, nowhere to be, and not much to do. This happens so rarely that we decided to take advantage of every minute of our day...Starting with a 5:30am wake-up time!
We got our bikes together along with a backpack prepared with water bottles and 2 peanut butter sandwiches that we ended up not needing.
Then we hit the Lincoln Prairie Grass Trail.
A conservation group converted an unused railroad line into a biking/running/equestrian trail that goes from Charleston, where we live, to Mattoon, which is the "sister city."
We found a gazebo.
This would be perfect for picnicking! We didn't get hungry though...
We later found ourselves parallel to the movie theater we usually go to. It's the large building in the center...yes, our theater is in the middle of nowhere surrounded by soybean farms.
Hi Raine!
We rode up to I-57, which is the road that goes to Champaign, our shopping and Indian food mecca.
Then we turned back!
We'd ridden 9 miles into the trail and by the time we got home, we had made it 18 miles. 
I'm no biking fanatic and every other bike ride I've done recently has probably been under 3 miles. I was so worried that I'd be super sore after the ride, but it turned out to be fine! 
I smelled a lot of interesting scents on the ride:
-Mint
-Eucalyptus?! (Vicks?)
-Grass
-Manure/Farm smell
-Horses
-Sweet flowers
-Dust
-Cars
When we got home, we decided that we could have gone even further had it not starting getting so hot outside. 
After an ice-cold shower, I was ravenous! 
I had 2 peanut butter sandwiches, 2 apples, and a pile of raw broccoli that needed to be eaten. 
Several episodes of the Kardashians later, we took a power nap and woke up feeling refreshed (and hungry again!)
I needed more carbs. They came in the form of biscuits, Morningstar "fakon", gravy, and light beer...
I absolutely love biscuits and gravy! 
After this meal that felt like a snack we decided to go swimming (after waiting the requisite 30 minutes after eating, of course).
Wrapped up in my favorite towel, feeling hungry again!
We were having such a fabulous day that we didn't want it to end. So, we got dressed and headed to our favorite Charleston restaurant, El Rancherito.
They have the most authentic Tex-Mex that you could find in rural Illinois...
We got drinks...one tequila,
Two Tequila....
Three Tequila,
CHIPS!
I think we devoured 2 baskets of chips and salsa that was so delicious I could have drank it.
I also got a cheesy enchilada,
and a pile of soft, fluffy, muy delicioso rice:
all devoured!
By the time we headed it home it was almost 9:30 and we were tuckered out. 
What a perfect day! I am still smiling thinking about it (:

When was the last time you spent the day doing fun stuff with someone you love?
and, Do you like biscuits and gravy?!

9 comments:

  1. Such a gorgeous ride, with beautiful scenery along that path!!

    dude those biscuits totally look fabulous! such a comforting meal :) mm and that cheesy enchilada is dynamite!

    xoxo <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day! It looks like a great bike ride!
    That cheese enchilada looks amazing by the way! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Just found your blog from Eden Eats! I LOVE biscuits and gravy, but I'm not sure about that 'Faken' Bacon! I've never had it though...

    Beer & breakfast always sounds like a good idea to me though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun bike trip! I'm glad some of the "interesting" smells didn't ruin your appetite haha! I love biscuits but have never had gravy (vegetarian). I should try fake gravy though, I bet I'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like fun! I've never had biscuits and gravy before!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The biscuits, gravy and light beer pic made me laugh! I've never eaten the B&G, but who knows what the future holds? I'm amazed you weren't sore after the ride---I can always feel it when it's been awhile between pedalling...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lovely day! Glad you guys had so much fun. :) Love that pretty little gazebo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a lovely, adeventurous day! The bike ride sounds like a lot of fun. :) And way to top it off with the Mexican food. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a lovely day, I had a fun filled, relaxing day last Saturday and loved every second of it!

    ReplyDelete