Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Souper Soup

Hi friends!
Thank you for your well wishes on my finals :) I just have one left to turn in tomorrow and then I'm D-O-N-E for the semester! Well, almost- I started my new job on campus today and will be training until Friday.
As if I wasn't busy enough already, I seem to have either a horrible head cold or my first case of allergies!
It's my first spring in south-central Illinois and there seem to be more dandelions than blades of grass here...
Whether it's a cold or allergies, my eyes are sore, my nose is stuffed, and my ears feel like they need to pop.
It's also been a bit chilly here for the past few days, so I decided to make a hearty soup to warm me up.
This was inspired by Christin's yummy looking recipe for Vegan Baked Potato Soup.
Unfortunately, I didn't have coconut milk or a crock pot, so I improvised with what I had!
Here's my recipe for Creamy Potato Soup
Ingredients:
4 red potatoes, diced
1 carrot, diced
1/2 cup chopped white onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBSP nutritional yeast
1 TBSP Earth Balance (or other vegan margarine)
2 cups vegetable broth (I use Maggi brand)
1/2 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup soy milk

Melt margarine over medium heat and add onions and garlic. Saute until translucent, then add potatoes, carrot, nutritional yeast, and broth. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat, then simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Let soup cool enough to blend. Transfer soup to a blender in small batches, and add soy milk at this stage. Blend as much or as little as you want!
I blended about 2/3 of my soup and left the rest chunky.
Add chili powder and salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with fat stacks of toasty sunflower bread!

I'll be back on Friday with some fun news!

Do you have any cold remedies or tricks for getting your ears to pop?! 

10 comments:

  1. So exciting that you only have one final left! Hope you're feeling better soon.

    The soup looks so good -- it's been cold/rainy here lately so I need a bowl of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so good! I just love potato soup!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm...that soup looks delish! I haven't eaten potato soup in a while.

    When I have a cold, I tend to drink a lot of tea, mostly ginger and lemon. I have heard Echinacea tea is good to build up immunity. And by default I drink turmeric milk (mum's remedy) to soothe any complaints like cold, cough or sore throat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY for being almost done with finals!! That's great, girl!

    Soup looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait for your news! This soup looks nice and flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you feel better soon! My suggestion is to drink tea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the final you turned in today went well! I have a 15 page paper, a 25 page paper, and two finals between me and graduating still. Gah.....

    Congrats on being done! Allergies: try a daily over the counter thing, like generic claritin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have begun to turn to your blog for awesome recipes for nooch. I hope you get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I'm sick, I just sleep as much as I can. Obviously, with a busy schedule like yours this isn't always easy...but it's the best way to get better fast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’ve tried all sorts of coughing syrups, believe me, but none of them helps. Even though Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa http://www.geocities.jp/ninjiom_hong_kong/index_e.htm does not eliminates the cough I like to stick to this chinese syrup I’ve been taking since I was a kid: Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa. My grandfather is chinese, so I guess my mom got the advice from him. I was really surprised when I found that chinese market selling it here in Belgium. It does have a refreshing, soothing, sweetening effect…as long as it lasts…then back to coughing mode.

    ReplyDelete