Friday, February 18, 2011

OMG Cookies & More Stripes

Hi, friends! What's new?
I'm doing great :) Thanks for asking...hehe. I've been getting busy with schoolwork lately and haven't had as much time to blog. Not to worry though, there are still some magnificent things occurring in my kitchen!
Last night, I was craving cookies. Specifically, cookies with chocolate.
After some careful assessment of my pantry, OMG Cookies were born. Why OMG? Because the entire time Raine and I were eating them, we kept repeating "OMG these are so good," over and over again.
This is one of the first times I have created a cookie from scratch, and I can't believe they turned out so well the first time!
OMG Cookies (makes 24-26 cookies)
1 heaping cup flour (I used unbleached white)
1/4 + 1/8 cup Sugar in the Raw
1/4 + 1/8 cup brown sugar
1 stick vegan butter (mine is olive oil based- any stick butter will do)
1 TBSP chia seeds + 3 TBSP water (chia egg)
1 tsp vanilla
scant half cup dried mixed berries
scant half cup chopped Lindt dark chocolate with sea salt/dark chocolate chip mixture (you could use chocolate chips here- this is just what I had in my chocolate stash!)

Preheat oven to 375*

Combine the chia seeds and water in a small bowl and set aside.
Cream the sugar, butter, and vanilla together with a hand mixer until very well incorporated. When the chia seeds have absorbed all water (all of it!), stir them into the butter-sugar mix. Add flour and mix well. Add the chocolate and berries and mix until they're well disbursed throughout the dough. 

Spoon heaping tablespoons of the dough onto a greased baking sheet, making sure cookies are spaced at least 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes and let cool before removing from the baking sheet.

Devour.
Don't do as I did and eat 6 cookies all at once...
Do leave a few bigger chunks of chocolate for a special melty treat...
The chia seeds got all toasty in the oven and added a fantastic crunch to these! The cookies were crispy on the bottom and soft inside and OMG...just...OMG. 
Let me know if you try making these! I'm pretty sure you could use anything inside...berries, chocolate, nuts, seeds, coconut, you name it!

And, I'm so glad you liked my stripes! I love stripes too- I own a lot of clothes that are striped. This is something I wore recently- when the temperature rose to 50*
I have a hard time taking an up-and-down picture of myself. I need help.
I also brought out my cowgirl boots! 
For some reason I kept calling them cowboy-girl boots. It was great to walk around in shoes other than snowboots!
Topped my outfit with a red bow on a headband and I was good to go :)

On an unrelated note- I've been having some Internet problems lately and have been having a hard time leaving comments! I think it has resolved itself though... but if you haven't heard from me lately, know that I am still reading :)

PS: I am giving a guest lecture on Wednesday on body image. Do you have any ideas for activities I could do with the class? The lecture + activities should take up about 50 minutes, and there are 30 undergraduate students in the class! So far, I'm going to tie in Operation Beautiful to my lecture and have them fill out their own sticky note to put somewhere on campus.
What do you think?

15 comments:

  1. OH I love that outfit! Very trendy. Not everyone can get away with stripes, but you pull it off well.

    I've never used chia seeds, nor have I tasted them. I know, crazy! These cookies sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, those cookies look freakin' dangerous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOO, that lecture sounds fun. I'm in a women in journalism class and we talk about looks in media. This might be interesting and some of my professor's students in the past did it and she said the results were interesting (although they were aimed towards teenagers but you could easily do it with college students)...anyway, the students handed the high school students typical mags like seventeen, cosmo, and all those other women's geared mags and they were told to observe the front covers and stuff. The college students then asked the students to conduct their own magazine and anyway, the result ended up being that the kids wanted to see more women's empowerment and not how to lose weight in ten days. We also touched on the subject of being media literacy (like knowing that everything is photoshopped to death and that companies just want to sell an image that doesn't exist).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you came up with that cookie recipe yourself..that is so cool!

    Good luck with the lecture! Sounds like it'll be a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there- I couldn't resist visiting your blog with a name like "master of her romaine." What a cute title!
    That said, those cookies look super yummy. I'm happy it's a weekend so I maybe have extra time to bake now!
    Cheers!
    Meri
    merigoesround.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. "there are still some magnificent things occurring in my kitchen!" LOL. Nice!
    I love the dress! And I always love your boots:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh these look so good! Guess what, I think I have your exact dress! Love ittt:) Your boots are super cute too, love the blue touch to them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy looking cookies! And I'm totally loving horizontal stripes too - very nautical :-) I think your "Operation Beautiful" idea sounds wonderful! Why don't you get the students to draw on a piece of paper what they think they look like and what they'd like to look like. This exercise can help to identify body image issues. Maybe include something abot the "Dove" campaign that only uses "normal" women to promote their products. Maybe include magazine pics, the effects of photoshopping. Good luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh! The same thing happened to me last night, I was craving chocolate cookies! I made Nesquik cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I had an oven so that I could try my hand at those cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the cowgirl boots! And those cookies look criminal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute outfit! Love the stripes!

    You are going to do such a great job with your guest speaking! I can't wait to hear all about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw your listing on Chocolate Covered Katie's bake sale, these cookies look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you go girl!! That's great that you're giving that speech; everyone needs it!! Operation Beautiful is such a good idea and even if people didn't make it to the speech, they can see the sticky notes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just pulled these outta the oven. I had to make a couple of substitutions (didn't have everything in the kitchen) so I was a little worried. They absolutely wonderful! I'm stoked to try to the recipe as is after my next grocery store trip. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete