Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Aunt's Fabulous Enchiladas

Over Christmas break when I went home to Dallas, my aunt cooked up some delicious vegetarian enchiladas. I loved them so much that I have already made them twice since then, with my own variations...

Mmm sideways enchilada! As you can see, I was still working with the iPhone's camera...
I served mine up with some corn and black bean salad and guacamole on the side.

I never really knew how simple enchiladas are to make! All you need are a good mix of veggies, tortillas, enchilada sauce, and cheese (optional). In mine, I used:

Mushrooms
2 Bell Peppers (1 green, one yellow)
Red and White onion, minced
Cilantro
Zucchini 
Corn

I sautéd them all up together with a splash of olive oil:

Then, I added some cumin, salt, and hot red chili powder, to taste. My aunt added a small container of cottage cheese to hers at this point, along with cheese, but I skipped that part.
I also used whole wheat tortillas.
I used half a large can of medium enchilada sauce on the bottom of the pan, and half over the top.
I added cheese to Raine's enchiladas and left mine with just veggies. 
He also had cheese on top of his, while I topped mine with leftover veggie mix...
And then we covered it with foil and baked for about 15 minutes at 400* then uncovered for 10 more minutes.
Yum! These were filling and flavorful, and I did not miss the cheese at all! These have definitely become a go-to dish at our house, and if we keep changing up the filling, I can't see myself getting tired of these. I am thinking a sweet potato and black bean filled one will be next...

Do you like Mexican food? Mexican/Tex-Mex is my second favorite cuisine- Indian food will always be #1 in my heart!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't had an enchilada in a looong time...not since I was @ a mexican restaurant and asked what the diff was between a burrito and an enchilada and was told "well basically nothing except the enchi is covered with oil and cooked". Hmmm...your version is luring me back to the dark side though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of the Mexican food I've tried, I really like it but sometimes it feels really heavy in my stomach and I don't feel so great after.

    I absolutely love Margaritas though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - these look pretty delicious!
    Gotta try this recipe sometime soon :)

    ReplyDelete