Friday, April 30, 2010

A Veggie Good Day

Hey Y'all, TGIF!

I have to tell you- yesterday, I was so inspired by Averie at Love Veggies and Yoga. I read her post Abs: FAQs & My Opinions, Trip, Comments Working, Embracing Bodies, Airbrushing right before I went to bed and I could not stop thinking about all of the things she discussed regarding diet, exercise, and how to really get the body we want. It is all about hard work, a clean diet, and disciplined work outs. I have been totally loving Averie's blog lately. I don't remember how I found it, but I'm glad I did! She is such an amazing person- wonderful mother, yoga expert, healthy eater, and such a down to earth real woman. I really look up to her!

Anyways, I did some deep thinking after reading her post, and decided to transition into eating a lot more raw fruits and vegetables than I currently do! Now, I am not saying I am going to become a raw foodist. But, I am hoping to really clean up my diet, and I know that fresh and raw foods are the way I will achieve that goal. I am going to begin cutting out a lot of processed foods. I hope you stay with me during this new transition in my life! I believe that I need your support to stay motivated! It may be a long journey...

Moving on, for breakfast today I enjoyed a large green smoothie!
This had:
1 large banana
4 large handfuls of spinach
1 scoop Jay Robb's Whey Protein
Enough cold water to blend well
Excuse the flash! After blending:
I half expected a Swamp Thing to emerge from this :) It was delish.
I went to work after breakfast and got a lot of stuff done!
I ended up having a coffee mid-morning:
This was from the coffee pot we share at work.

Around 12:30, I took a break for lunch.
Hello, Veggies!
Don't be fooled by the little container! These veggies were packed in there. I put the spinach and tomatoes into a bowl and they magically expanded.
This was 3 organic carrots, 2.5 cups of organic spinach, and 1 small tomato, chopped.
I had a little bit of Lite Ranch on the side, but did not use much of it.
So satisfying! This was really refreshing to eat. Doesn't the spinach look like basil here? Pretty real colors.
I ate while I was working so I wore a glove on my left hand to eat my carrots with! They turned orange on the tips :)
I work in a research lab so we have plenty of these gloves on hand. No pun intended. I wear them a lot when I eat at my desk in the laboratory because the computer keyboard and mouse are used by a lot of people and I do not think they get cleaned regularly. In my office I am much more relaxed.
I worked until 4pm and had a few prunes when I got home.
After running some errands with my boyfriend, we came home and I did Level 1 of the 30 Day Shred with 5lb weights as usual. Then, I had something very interesting in mind for dinner!
I saw an amazing looking recipe on Bridget's blog for something called Hot and Crunchy Chicken Cones. Obviously, I don't eat chicken...but I thought for sure that I could vegetarianize her recipe, which she originally found in a magazine at her dentist's office. Original recipe here. If I had seen this recipe in a magazine, I probably wouldn't have glanced at it twice. But, seeing it on a blog that I like made all the difference!
I modified the recipe quite a bit. This recipe might look intimidating because of the long list of ingredients, but I promise it was not hard at all. The recipe is also modified to cook for one.
Here goes:
"Hot and Crunchy "Chicken" with Mango Slaw"
Slaw:
1/4 cup diced mango
1/4 jalapeno
1/2 TBSP rice vinegar
1/2 TBSP agave nectar
1/2 TBSP water
bit of minced onion
1/4 cup Fage (or any other Greek Yogurt)
1/8 cup chopped cilantro
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 TBSP lime jice
1 and 1/2 cup coleslaw mix
S&P to taste

Combine ingredients Mango through Onion in a saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes.
In the meantime, combine the remaining ingredients (excluding the coleslaw), and mix well. Add this mixture to the coleslaw and combine well.
After simmering the sauce ingredients, puree in food processor. Add to coleslaw mixture.
Stir it up!
Cover and refrigerate.

Crunchy "Chicken"
6 strips of Morningstar Chik'n Strips
1/2 cup Special K Protein Plus
1 TBPS slivered almonds
1 TBSP black sesame seeds (I would have used white, but didn't have any)
a few dashes of crushed red pepper
pinch of salt
Splash of Egg Beaters + smaller splash soy milk

Preheat oven to 350* and warm chik'n strips in a skillet until heated through.
I love these- have never enjoyed real chicken the few times I tried it, but these are great.
In the skillet:
Combine cereal, almonds, sesame seeds, red pepper, and salt in the food processor and blend well. Pour into a shallow dish.
Combine egg beaters and soy milk in a separate bowl:
You will use a fraction of this mixture.
Add the chik'n strips to the egg mixture and cover thoroughly with liquid. One by one, add strips to the cereal mix and cover well. You will have to press the crumbs onto the chik'n strip. You'll use about half of the crumbs.
Once all of the strips are coated, lay them on a lightly sprayed baking sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes, flipping half way through.
End:
Remove coleslaw from the fridge and serve with chik'n strips on top!

I served this with 2 tortilla chips as a garnish.
What a pretty dish!
This tasted fantastic. I gobbled it up!
Should have made more than one serving :)

The Verdict:
This was one of the best things I have ever concocted in the kitchen! The changes I would make are to reduce or completely remove the Greek Yogurt. I have a feeling that the mayo in the original recipe would have tasted quite different. In the future (probably tomorrow) I will remake the slaw with double the sauce ingredients for the same amount of coleslaw mix and add a drizzle of olive oil. I also think I will not simmer the sauce ingredients- they seem like they would taste better in the raw! Other than that, I loved it! I may also experiment with more spices in the breading mix.

The nutritional stats on this dish are not too shabby, either!
This serving:
405 calories
12 grams fat
31 grams protein
50 grams carbs
9 grams fiber

Do you like to cook for only yourself? I don't mind at all! I showed this recipe to my boyfriend and he did not seem interested. I love to cook and do not mind taking the same effort I would use to make a dish for 4 and modify it for just myself! Do you have any good recipes for one?

5 comments:

  1. Sonia-
    I'm excited about your new eating! This will be fun!
    It looks like you are doing a good job of that, this first day. I'll have to check out Averie's post. My old computer doesn't agree with something on her site- some settings or something- ha ha poor old thing. But I'll still have to check it out.

    Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That meal look INCREDIBLE! I cook for just myself all the time. Actually, I'm doing it as we speak. I've got Acorn Squash and an Eggplant roasting away in the oven. I'm also cooking some unhealthy pierogies with sauteed onions for the Mr. I'm a multitasking fool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great work on the chix strips dish! you could omit the egg AND the yogurt simply by rubbing a little coconut oil or another oil lightly on the strips, then, dipping them in the dry rub. it will totally stick. and dont fear (some) good fats. we need them, in moderation, like we need everything else.

    great job on cleaning up your diet, wanting to do more fresh/raw, and i am so touched by the kind words you said about me at the top of this post. thank you so much!!!! i am glad i inspire people like you, sonia :) you are already on such a great path, with a few tweaks, sounds like you're just gonna set the world on fire!

    and glad you spent and hour clicking on links, that's the point of those posts, they are huge and i am thrilled when ppl do that!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. !! the chicken thing looks soo good. Ahh my list of food to make is too long lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Faith @ LovelyAsChargedMay 2, 2010 at 12:12 PM

    Yum! I love crunchy texture with anything possible, so that looks killer - as always :)

    Good luck with the raw food business. Now that I'm going to be doing all my own grocery shopping/cooking, I think I'll be heading that way too. We'll do great I'm sure!!!

    ReplyDelete