Thursday, March 11, 2010

Kitchen Experiments

I was a mad scientist in the kitchen yesterday!

It all started when I was inspired by HEAB's post on how she made her own coconut butter! OMG it looked so luscious. I decided to give it a whirl.
I think I had slightly less than 1/4 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut in the pantry. I pulsed and pulsed it in our little food processor.
Unfortunately, it never progressed much farther than this.

I decided to turn it into something new! I added about 7 almonds to this, along with some agave nectar and a pinch of sea salt, and transformed it into...
YES YES YES

This tasted like macaroons. I have never made macaroons before, so I'm not really sure what goes in the mix, but I think this was along the lines of what they are! The "dough" was a little crumbly so I brainstormed and decided to make a syrup out of POM...
I boiled and boiled a few tablespoons of POM Wonderful until it became very thick. This took a very, very long time. I drizzled it into the batter and stirred.
 Pretty in Pink!

I made balls with a teaspoon measure:
I really wish I could tell you all that I had the patience to bake these at 150* for 12 hours but alas, 'twas not the case. I baked them at 200 for about 30 minutes, then got impatient and cranked the heat up to 400* for 5 minutes. They were done after that.
I'm sad that these didn't stay that pretty pink color after baking, but wow they were good! I ate two immediately and wrapped the rest up for later. I will definitely be making these again, and I will measure everything next time so I can share the recipe!

I snacked on a little jar of Peanut Butter Bumpers after baking, and contemplated dinner.
Yummy as always.

My friend Colleen had shared a recipe with me a while ago called Cauliflower Poppers. This is the recipe, from vegweb.com:

1 large head of cauliflower
    juice of 1 lemon
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon dried dill
    fresh black pepper
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
 Preheat the oven to 400, and separate the cauliflower into bite-sized florets.

Whisk together the remaining ingredients and toss with the cauliflower, then bake for 40 minutes, stirring once about halfway through the cooking time.


It turns out that I didn't have any cauliflower on hand, but I did have that bag of frozen broc that I'd purchased yesterday. I whipped up the batter using fresh dill in place of dried, and took out the broccoli. To my dismay, I found that it was chopped into tiny pieces and not large chunks. I decided to roll with it anyways. I also reduce the oil to about 1tsp.
 Here they are covered with the batter.

And in the oven,
Post-Oven:
This is seriously the best thing I have eaten in a very long time. I was shoveling them into my mouth faster than they were making it onto my dinner plate!
I ate the entire pan of them along with a slice of Earthgrain bread with Smart Balance and Crofter's Strawberry Jam. 

and of course, dessert:
knock-off Nutella, X 3...

I enjoyed dinner and dessert while watching Season 5 of How I Met Your Mother- I'm almost caught up! And then I'm pretty sure I passed out with a big smile on my face :)

Today for breakfast I was craving one thing: peanut butter!
I had two slices of bread with PB and a sliced up apple. This was instantly smushed into a sandwich and devoured while I did some last minute studying for my 9:30am class.

So, remember that test I didn't dutifully studied for instead of blogging? It turns out I got a 99.8! And remember the paper I remembered was due today? Well...I kind of decided to blow it off, and today in class the instructor announced that he would accept it as long as we e-mailed it to him by midnight! I decided it was a sign and finished writing it while I was at work today.

For lunch I had my Veggie Fajita evol burrito, a bag of baked lays, and a Diet Satan... sigh. 
Blackberry pic! I doused the burrito in cafeteria picante sauce and devoured it. YUM.

After I got home from work I finished cleaning the kitchen, and organized a bunch of old clothes that have been scattered all over the bedroom floor. I put some in a pile to get rid of, and folded the rest. I really want to have a clothing-swap or something like that, but I have no idea how to go about setting something like that up. Have any of you done anything like that? I have a lot of nice clothes that I've only worn once or twice that don't fit me anymore and I'd hate to get rid of them. 

Around 5pm I had a snack of 2 small oranges, a small handful of cashews, and 3 tortilla chips.
The chips were a mistake. Once I had those, I knew I wanted more.
I had a serving of chips with some Pace.

And then...I had 3 servings of cereal with soymilk. And a Zone bar. Oops. 

Looking back, I think that I should have made dinner early, even though I didn't think I needed it. I usually eat about every four hours and I had breakfast at 9am today and lunch at 1pm. I was obviously ready to eat something at 5pm and didn't think to start on dinner or at least moderated my snacking and then made dinner. 

My boyfriend was out doing laundry (we don't have a washer and dryer) and when he got home I told him what I'd eaten. He said, "Wow, you must have been really hungry!" But the truth is, I don't think I was. I think I was mindlessly eating because I was bored, and because the kitchen was there. Earlier I had planned to make a big salad for dinner, but obviously that idea flew out the window. 

So, I have been beating myself up about what I ate this evening and feeling horrible about not working out today. For the sake of accountability, I have a few confessions to make:

1) I do not want to continue with the 30-Day Shred. I have just been dreading doing it, and I hate thinking about it. I do like Jillian, I really do...but I don't think the repetitiveness of the DVD is doing anything good for me. I want to enjoy working out, and I want to be able to look forward to it. I'm the type of girl that likes variety, and I definitely enjoy mixing it up and trying new things at the gym, which brings me to 

2) I am going to make more of an effort to get to the gym 4 times a week. I mean it. I am going tomorrow.

3) I need to start eating better. I "slip up" and eat something junky just about every day and I know it isn't good for me. I keep making excuses like, well, I'm not gaining any weight so it must be fine, but really the opposite is true: I'm not losing weight like I want to and I'm not working on changing that. I'm not trying to lose some large amount of weight here, just 10 lbs, but what I'm doing isn't helping me one bit.

Phew! I feel much better now that all of that is out there. Today was a rainy gloomy day and I am sure that the weather affected me as well. Thankfully Spring is right around the corner and I know that when I soak up sun and warmth, I am motivated to get out and get it together!

What's your favorite season? Mine is definitely Summer!

8 comments:

  1. Mmm, those macaroons look yummy! I haven't tried to make them yet. My favorite season is Summer too. I like to be out in the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. POM coconut almond macaroons? YUM! I'd say your coconut butter was a success.

    I was looking at your cauliflower recipe thinking I could try it with frozen broccoli. ;)
    I shall try it soon. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant recipe! LOVE it. I might try it over break. I really like the raininess of spring, oddly enough,and the coolness/colors of fall. I totally "slip up" sometimes too and will eat a bunch of snacks in the late afternoon. I feel like maybe I should just do an early dinner sometimes too? Hmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Summer!! But Spring and Fall are grea tin NYC also : )

    xo

    jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I just found your site from HEAB and I love your food! The coconut butter-pom "macaroons" look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there...just found your blog and love it! Are you Indian Sonia? Nice to meet a fellow Indian if you are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow amazing eats here girl, I am a high raw vegan and macaroons of the vegan kind are simply coocnut flakes, almond flour, maple, and vanilla. There are a million version after that, but that's what i have success with.

    And the Pom. I have it and have reduced it too...takes forever, you're right!

    Have a great day, i have a raw cookbook give away later today i am announcing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dropped in from HEAB and just wanted to tell you that your blog name is awesome.

    ReplyDelete