Sunday, March 28, 2010

Indian night: Baingan Bharta

Hello bloggers! I hope you all had a fabulous weekend! I know I did :) I have so much to share with you from the weekend, but today I want to share a special recipe with you.

This is my recipe for baingan bharta. I grew up in an Indian household and was raised eating Indian food almost every day! I definitely took my mom's delicious cooking for granted and after I moved away from home when I was 18, I missed Indian food a lot!

Over the past few years, I have slowly begun to learn how to cook Indian food on my own, and have a few recipes that I have perfected. Baingain Bharta is is a mashed eggplant dish that is full of flavor and spice. I hope you enjoy it!

Baingan Bharta (Serves 3-4)

Ingredients:

1 eggplant (on the larger side)
2 medium sized tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 green chili (optional- use it if you love extra spicy things!)
1 TBSP ginger garlic paste (or 1 inch of garlic and a clove of garlic)
1 1/2 TBSP ghee (or olive oil)

pinch of asafetida
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garam masala
1/8 - 1/4 tsp liquid smoke

1/2 cup steamed peas (optional)

Roast eggplant on a gas flame & peel. I use these directions, and do not drain the eggplant.
Roast the eggplant on the flame for about 10 minutes, turning as needed. When the skin is papery and flaky looking, take it off the heat and let it cool. You can peel the eggplant after that, or just cut it in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides. Chop the insides into small pieces or mash with a masher if possible, and reserve. If you don't have a gas flame, you can roast the eggplant in the oven or even in the microwave.

Before:
After:

Next, blend the tomatoes with ginger garlic paste & green chili, if you're using it. I blend it until it's a thick liquid.

Heat ghee or oil and ad cumin and asafetida. Once the cumin starts sizzling and popping, stir-fry the onions until browned and add the blended tomato puree. Also add coriander powder, turmeric, chili powder, and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, then add eggplant and liquid smoke. 

(after adding eggplant to the tomato puree)


Cook everything together for about 10 minutes, and add the peas at the end- if you want to. I find that they add a good burst of flavor to the dish and have a little sweetness to counteract the spice. 

 I served this with rice and pappad, which is a thin crispy cracker with cumin in it. You can serve also serve this with naan or roti.

The pappad comes as a round uncooked cracker. You can either fry it, or hold it with tongs and heat over a gas flame.
Can you see the uncooked bottom on the lower left? The cracker becomes browner and puffy when it is cooked.

I love pappad! It is only 80 calories per round cracker and tastes wonderful with this meal.

All together:

 Tonight, I had my meal with a simple salad of romaine, carrots, and nutritional yeast. I served the baingan bharta on top of a little white rice. It was fabulous!

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do :) Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you try it!

Also, I am willing to send a few people spices that they may be lacking. First come first serve!

Have you ever eaten Indian food? If so, what is your favorite dish?

Why did the carrot answer the door? Because the eggplant was baingan on it!

2 comments:

  1. My mom makes this and it is so delicious! I really want to try it so thanks for the recipe. Like you, I have been trying to improve my Indian cooking abilities but my Indian dad still won't touch the stuff I make.

    Love your cute joke. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! I love Indian food. I've always loved Saag or the Palak Paneer when it's made with tofu. I forget what it's called, but there's also a spicy garbanzo bean curry that makes me a very happy person :)

    ReplyDelete